The emergence of Robotic Process Automation as a technology that utilizes software “robots” or artificial intelligence (AI) workers is projected to be a $60 billion industry by 2025. Now is the time to start your journey and take advantage of the cost savings and ability to re-focus your staff on higher value activities.
Starting Your RPA Journey
A critical first step in ensuring the success of an RPA initiative is developing an Enterprise Automation Roadmap (EAR). An EAR should include and accomplish the following:
- Discover processes (areas) that involved manual rekeying and data consolidation
- Determine whether COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) software can be used and if a combination of solutions is required
- Identify & improve existing processes BEFORE automating them – automating a poor process will not yield the desired benefits
- Document an overall roadmap from an enterprise perspective that lays out a plan for automation and helps avoid automation initiatives being developed in silos and facilitates a unified solution
The key components of your strategy should be:
- Data: Apply a data-centric view to identify the high impact, data/transaction heavy processes that are the most impactful targets for robotics automation
- Analytics: Monitor automated processes and identify opportunities to re-engineer existing processes to gain efficiencies
- Governance and Operations: Design and implement the necessary operating model for managing and continuously enhancing robotics automated processes.